A BLOG DEDICATED TO MY LOVE OF THE SILVER SCREEN
Established May 2010.


Gordie: Do you think I'm weird?
Chris: Definitely.
Gordie: No man, seriously. Am I weird?
Chris: Yeah, but so what? Everybody's weird.
-STAND BY ME

Film Critic for Twin Cities Live

Member of THE LAMB: The Large Association of Movie Blogs LAMB #1588

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my blog and other fun movie news. Find me at @PaulsMovieTrip

Find and "like" me on Facebook at Paul's Trip to the Movies


Monday, March 3, 2014

THE 86th ACADEMY AWARD WINNERS

THE 86th ACADEMY AWARD WINNERS



BEST PICTURE
12 YEARS A SLAVE

BEST DIRECTOR
Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity

BEST ACTOR
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The Great Beauty, Italy

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Spike Jonze, Her

BEST ANIMATED FILM
Frozen

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Catherine Martin and Beverly Dunn, The Great Gatsby

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Emmanuel Lubezki, Gravity

BEST SOUND MIXING
Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead, and Chris Munro, Gravity

BEST SOUND EDITING
Glenn Freemantle, Gravity

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Steven Price, Gravity

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Let It Go", Frozen
Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Catherine Martin, The Great Gatsby

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
20 Feet from Stardom

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
The Lady In Number 6: Music Saved My Life

BEST FILM EDITING
Alfonso Cuarón, Mark Sanger, Gravity

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Adruitha Lee, Robin Mathews, Dallas Buyers Club

BEST ANIMATED SHORT
Mr. Hublot

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT
Helium

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Timothy Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk, and Neil Corbould, Gravity

I don't think there were too many surprises from last night. My final outcome on predictions was 19 out of 24, which wasn't too bad. I should have stuck to my initial guesses on Best Picture and Best Costume Design, but I thought I would throw out some surprises. 20 Feet from Stardom took the award home for Best Documentary when many thought The Act of Killing had it in the bag. Ellen Degeneres completely nailed the opening monologue and brought an informal approach to her hosting duties, often times delivering bits from the audience. The selfie that broke Twitter was a fantastic idea and takes a bit of the stuffiness out of the room. I'm sure there will be some curmudgeons that will balk at her casual ways, but I found it entertaining. I will say that some of the bits took too long. The Oscars are always far longer than they need to be. I read many negative comments regarding some of the performances. I really enjoyed Bette Midler, Pink, and Idina Menzel. My biggest beef of the evening came with one of their presenters. Can I just throw it out there that John Travolta should not present again? Why does he always have to present one of the Best Song nominees? He completely butchered Idina Menzel's name. Don't they have rehearsals and pronunciation cards or something to ensure names are pronounced correctly? Travolta and his hair piece were two of the lowest moments of the evening. Some highlights of the evening include Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong'o and Cate Blachett who had wonderful and inspiring speeches. While Gravity took home the most with seven wins, 12 Years a Slave took home the final award for Best Picture.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment