A BLOG DEDICATED TO MY LOVE OF THE SILVER SCREEN
Established May 2010.


Gordie: Do you think I'm weird?
Chris: Definitely.
Gordie: No man, seriously. Am I weird?
Chris: Yeah, but so what? Everybody's weird.
-STAND BY ME

Film Critic for Twin Cities Live

Member of THE LAMB: The Large Association of Movie Blogs LAMB #1588

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my blog and other fun movie news. Find me at @PaulsMovieTrip

Find and "like" me on Facebook at Paul's Trip to the Movies


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Movie Review: The Town




What happens when you fall in love with a man that just happened to rob your bank and hold you at gunpoint? That's just one of the many interesting ideas that happens in The Town. Ben Affleck directs, stars, and co-wrote the screenplay for The Town. It belongs in his set of Boston themed movies (Good Will Hunting, Gone Baby Gone). It seems he has found a niche he's good at.

The movie opens with suspenseful bank heist led by Doug (Affleck), James (Jeremy Renner), and some other hooligans. After they realize the silent alarm has been triggered, they take one of the workers, Claire (Rebecca Hall), for hostage while making her open the vault. Doug later runs into a vulnerable Claire at the laundramat and sparks heat up. Claire has no idea who Doug is, as the thieves wear creepy character masks to conceal their identity.

I don't want to give too much away as that might give up some of the suspense that the movie has going for it.

John Hamm plays the lead investigator that has been following Doug and his crew and will stop at nothing to bring them all down. Chris Cooper, Blake Lively, and the late Pete Postlethwaite have supporting roles as well.

The Town is a sharp, edge of your seat, action/mystery/thriller that has more character and brains behind it than you would assume. I found myself glued to it over my Sudoku puzzle. Needless to say, I never finished my puzzle that night.

4 out of 5 stars ****


Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Oooohhhh, looks really good. I want to see it. When will it be available to rent at Paul's video store?

    ReplyDelete